What should I do if I have been exposed to measles but am not immune?

If you’re not protected against measles and think you might have been exposed to someone with measles, stay home. Do not go straight to the doctor. Instead, call ahead to inform a healthcare professional of your possible exposure so you can get instructions about how to avoid exposing others. Additionally, talk to your doctor about getting measles vaccine. If given within 72 hours of initial exposure, MMR vaccine may provide some protection or lessen the severity of disease. Except in healthcare settings, unvaccinated people who receive their first dose of MMR vaccine within 72 hours after exposure may return immediately to childcare, school, or work.

Continue Learning about Measles (Rubeola)

Measles Vaccination Cheat Sheet
Measles Vaccination Cheat Sheet
The recent measles outbreak has focused mainly on infants and children—and rightly so, since they’re the most vulnerable to the infection. But many ad...
What is measles?
Measles is a viral illness that was once common among children in the United States. Though contagio...
5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles
5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles
Get the truth about the disease that’s making headlines. 
How Can I Prevent My Child from Getting Measles?