How common was measles in the United States before the measles vaccine?

Before the measles vaccination program started in 1963, it's estimated that about three to four million people got measles each year in the United States. Of those people, 400 to 500 died and 48,000 were hospitalized. A further 4,000 developed encephalitis (brain swelling) from measles.

Continue Learning about Measles (Rubeola)

Measles Outbreaks Should Be a Wakeup Call
For parents who haven’t gotten their kids vaccinated, here’s a wakeup call: Measles outbreaks are on the rise. In 2019, confirmed cases in the United...
Could I still get measles if I am fully vaccinated?
The measles vaccine is very effective—one dose is about 93% effective at preventing measles if you a...
5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles
5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles5 Must-Know Facts About the Measles
Get the truth about the disease that’s making headlines. 
Why Is Measles Becoming More Common?
Why Is Measles Becoming More Common?