Why should I avoid going to the grocery store when I am hungry?

Lisa Oz
Health Education
If you go to the grocery store hungry, you may be lured into buying something you don’t really need or want because your blood sugar is low and your resistance is even lower. One tip here is to eat before you go to the grocery store -- and if you’re taking your kids with you, make sure they’ve eaten, too. (Hungry children = lots of whining when you get to the cookie aisle.) If you don’t have time for a meal, throw a healthy snack like nuts or an apple into your purse and munch on it in the car on the way to the market.

You should avoid going to the grocery store when you're hungry because you will buy more food, and you will also make poor food choices. Watch psychologist Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD, explain why you should have a snack before buying groceries.

Frances Largeman-Roth, RD
Hunger pangs and grocery aisles are a combustible combo. In this video, registered dietitian Frances Largeman-Roth explains why it's hard to resist the bakery or deli when you're ravenous.
Manuel Villacorta
If you want to lose weight, never go to a grocery store hungry. We've all heard this one before, but it's true. Be aware that the worst time to go food shopping is right after work. So always have a snack first, and be sure to bring -- and stick to -- your shopping list. If you go hungry when you've had a stressful day, you'll grab everything that sounds and looks good, and the food may not make it home because you'll snack on it in the car.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Meal Planning and Weight Loss

How can I prepare fast and healthy meals at home?
Recipe expert and Dr. Oz Show guest Todd Wilbur has made a career out of cloning favorite foods ...
How should I prepare for a trip to the grocery store?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
One tip here is to eat before you go to the grocery store -- and if you’re taking your kids with you...
How Should I Approach Grocery Shopping If I Want to Lose Weight?
Why Should I Avoid Going to the Grocery Store When I am Hungry?