How can eating breakfast help me lose weight?

Eating breakfast, compared to skipping breakfast, is known to reduce hunger, increase satiety, as well as reduce activity in the regions of the brain that control food motivation and cravings. But by adding an increased percentage of protein in your breakfast, there may be a greater reduction in hunger. A hard cooked egg, a serving of nuts, a cup of yogurt, or some reduced fat cheese are just a few of the ways that you can healthfully add protein to your breakfast and potentially experience less hunger throughout the morning.
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhD

The right kind of breakfast can make all the difference in your diet. Nutritionist Dr. Rovenia Brock describes the ideal breakfast in this video.

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
The time of day a person eats their biggest meal really does matter. In this video, Robin Miller, MD, shares the benefits to consuming the most calories at breakfast and not dinner.

Breakfast really is the most important meal if you want to lose weight. Load your morning plate with plenty of lean protein and fiber. Both are filling to help regulate your appetite so you're less prone to cravings later in the day. Fiber-rich whole grains like oatmeal and protein-rich nuts are good choices -- both also help lower your cholesterol.

Until she started Transformation Nation, finalist Mary Ellen Brunaugh was an avowed breakfast skipper. Then she found a way to make the morning meal a key element in her weight loss success. Find out what she ate by watching this video.

Continue Learning about Meal Planning and Weight Loss

What appetizers should I eat if I am watching my weight?
JJ VirginJJ Virgin
Ditch the breadbasket and request a dish of olives to start. For appetizers, focus on lean protein, ...
What kind of breakfast drink can help me lose weight?
JJ VirginJJ Virgin
A protein shake makes a fast, easy, inexpensive, no-brainer breakfast that keeps you full and focuse...
Why Should I Eat Bigger Meals Early in the Day?
Does Slower Eating Help to Consume Less Calories?