Does skipping breakfast affect my weight?

Research has not demonstrated a consistent link between eating breakfast and body weight. Some studies show a relationship between skipping breakfast and a strong prevalence of obesity. Until more studies are conducted, individuals should choose a meal frequency that prevents feelings of hunger. Keep in mind that waiting too long to eat between meals can lead to overeating at the next meal.
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD

Eating breakfast has been linked to maintaining a healthy weight. It is possible that skipping breakfast may lead to increased hunger and overeating at meals and snacks later in the day. The initial meal of the day will give you a metabolism boost to provide calories burned for the energy you require in your daily activities.

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

Breakfast should be your most important meal of the day. In order to burn calories you need to eat. Skipping meals will slow down your metabolism to storage mode as your body hangs on to every calorie never knowing when you will refuel again. You wouldn’t start a long trip with no gas in your car and you shouldn’t start your busy day with no fuel on board. Eating 6 small meals a day and starting my day with a healthy breakfast was key to my successful weight loss.

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
Skipping breakfast affects your weight because people who skip breakfast tend to overeat at lunch. This is the same idea for having too much time between any meals. 
When our blood sugar gets low, we get less picky in what we eat and want whatever is in front of us. It is the body's natural way of saying "EAT"! In order to avoid the possible negative effects of getting too hungry, eat regularly spaced meals and have healthy snacks around in case life throws later morning or early afternoon hunger pains at you.
Research shows that people who skip breakfast tend to weigh more than those who eat breakfast regularly. Why? Eating breakfast may help you reduce snacking and avoid overeating later in the day.

Not all breakfasts are created equal, however. Most people will get more mileage from an English muffin with scrambled eggs, some fruit and a cup of fat-free milk than they do from a bowl of sweetened cereal and a large glass of juice. A smart breakfast choice includes whole grrains, lean protein and some fruit or veggies.

Weight Watchers offers a comprehensive approach to weight loss that can help you reach your goals.
Ozgen Dogan
Skipping breakfast can sabotage weight loss in many ways. While you're sleeping, your metabolism slows down. When you wake up and forego breakfast, your metabolism slows down even further to conserve energy. You may think you're burning calories and losing weight, but what you're really doing is making yourself unnecessarily miserable with hunger pains until lunch. In addition, it's harder to concentrate, and you run the risk of reaching for a high-calorie, quick-fix snack. Having breakfast is healthy and a very important part of losing weight. Have an egg or turkey bacon with whole-grain toast. The fiber, protein and small amount of fat these foods contain will keep you full for a long time.
Skipping breakfast may make you particularly hungry later in the day, which can lead to overeating. In time, that can cause you to gain weight. People who skip breakfast tend to have less nutritious diets, which can increase the chances of high cholesterol and other risk factors for chronic disease. So eat breakfast. It can be a small, balanced meal, and you don't need to eat it the moment you get out of bed. But if you're concerned about your body weight and your health, it's a good habit to get into.

Continue Learning about Meal Planning and Weight Loss

To lose weight as part of weight management, what foods can I eat?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
To lose weight as part of weight management, you can eat a variety of foods and lose weight at the s...
Why should I avoid going to the grocery store when I am hungry?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
If you go to the grocery store hungry, you may be lured into buying something you don’t really need ...
A Mealtime Trick to Stop Overeating
A Mealtime Trick to Stop Overeating
How Should I Buy Food in Bulk If I Want to Be Healthy?