What type of massage can help break up scar tissue?

A type of massage called friction massage helps separate adhesions that restrict movement and cause pain. This massage is not relaxing, because the technique is to massage in the opposite direction of the muscle fibers, tendon, or scar. This will help break up the scar tissue.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Massage Therapy

Would a massage be beneficial for my sore neck?
Yes, a massage can be helpful for tight neck muscles. If the muscles in your neck are in spasm or fu...
How does a massage reduce stress and pain?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Along with mind/body therapies to de-stress, massage helps to relieve depression and anxiety, an...
What are the benefits of a foot massage?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
When you think of massage, you may think of a neck or back rub. But your feet also benefit from ...
How do I give myself a targeted massage for neck and back pain?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Targeted massage is an essential ingredient in the successful treatment of muscular neck and bac...