What is Aston-Patterning?

Aston-Patterning, an offshoot of Rolfing, is a muscle manipulation system developed by dancer Judith Aston with the goal of re-educating muscle movement  Aston combined exercises, much like an ergonomics lesson, with a gentler form of Rolfing. Because it targets chronic muscle problems, it is highly regarded by dancers and athletes.

The Aston-Patterning practitioner examines you for muscle tightness and structural formation, then depending on the findings, uses a combination of massage and education techniques to teach you how to retrain your muscles.  Using a special "spiraling" technique, the therapist will work to relax your muscles and loosen tight joints, permitting the body to revert to a healthier posture. The therapist will also teach you special fitness exercises to help keep muscle patterns healthy as well as make environmental suggestions, such as changing the height of your computer chair or side supports to keep the spine aligned.
Miracle Touch: A Complete Guide to Hands-On Therapies That Have the Amazing Ability to Heal

Discover the Healing Power of Human TouchCurious about the benefits of touch therapy? Interest in hands-on therapies has skyrocketed, and even conventional physicians now embrace these treatments as...

Continue Learning about Massage Therapy

What is the Trager approach to bodywork?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
The Trager approach is a system of movement reeducation or psychophysical integration based on t...
What are the benefits of massage therapy?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Massage is a popular hands-on healing method that has been practiced for thousands of years. Limited...
What Diseases or Ailments Can Massage Therapy Treat?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?