What drill will help my knee explosiveness in a fight?

Whether throwing knees from the front or the side, muay thai style fighting often displays some of the most devastating knee weaponry of any martial art. One of the most popular drills for knee and hip explosiveness is sport loaded knee strikes. After completing your foam rolling and dynamic warm-up, begin by attaching some resistance tubing to a solid post. Once you have secured a sturdy and safe location, place a standard weight belt through the handles of the tubing followed by snuggly and securely fastening the belt around your waist so that the resistance is pulling from behind. Next, attach a set of ankle resistance tubes with velcro ankle straps around each ankle. Walk forward until a significant amount of tension is felt tugging you slightly backward. Assuming a muay thai stance, begin moving forward while performing explosive knee drives in a spearing fashion. Once you have reached a safe yet maximum tension level on the resistance tubing, repeat the knee drives moving backward. It is a good idea to change the shot angle of the knee with each set performed. This is a great drill for engaging the core in a dynamic environment and attaining the optimum hip and knee power characteristic of muay thai.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
What is the difference between strength and power?
Simply stated, strength is movement of weight, and power is how quickly that weight is moved. Bo...
Will foam rolling help my shot flexibility in combat sports?
Not only will foam rolling help your shot flexibility, it may allow you to generate increased leve...
What can I do to increase hip mobility for fights?
The hip escape drill can be a great way to enhance hip mobility, incorporate fighting strategy i...