What is multiplanar or “3D” movement?

The human body was designed to produce force, reduce force, and dynamically stabilize the whole body in all planes of motion. One does not move about with robot-like movement, the athlete moves front-to-back (as in shooting), side-to-side (lunging to the right or left to avoid) and rotation (pivoting into a kick or punch). It is important that when implementing a combat specific training program, that you include movement in all planes of motion in order to create optimum translation into the octagon, ring or on the mat.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
What core exercises should I do for combat sports?
Begin with a basic crunch with a medicine ball, followed immediately by a TRX roll-out (suspension s...
How can I improve my lower-body strength to defend against takedowns?
 Strength exercises which target all of the major muscle groups (chest, back, shoulders and legs) sh...
What is the best way to improve my fighting footwork?
Improve your footwork for fights by performing speed, agility, and quickness (SAQ) drills using vari...