What can I do to increase hip mobility for fights?

The hip escape drill can be a great way to enhance hip mobility, incorporate fighting strategy into practice, and teach the muscles of the core and arms to endure fatigue for long matches. To perform a hip escape, begin in a push-up position with your belly button drawn-in. Elevate and bend your right leg while at the same time picking your left hand up off the ground. Rotate to the right so that your shoulders and hips open up to the ceiling and extend your right leg through while pulling the left arm back. Once you begin moving rhythmically, you should feel as if your hips are rotating like a pendulum. Repeat this drill for three sets of 60 seconds. You can even use hip escapes as a regular part of your dynamic warm-up.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
How can I improve my lower-body strength to defend against takedowns?
 Strength exercises which target all of the major muscle groups (chest, back, shoulders and legs) sh...
What is multiplanar or “3D” movement?
The human body was designed to produce force, reduce force, and dynamically stabilize the whole ...
How can I improve my hand-wrist control during a fight?
There are several common hand-wrist control drills that jujitsu practitioners use. Try performing a ...