What can I do to increase hip mobility for fights?

The hip escape drill can be a great way to enhance hip mobility, incorporate fighting strategy into practice, and teach the muscles of the core and arms to endure fatigue for long matches. To perform a hip escape, begin in a push-up position with your belly button drawn-in. Elevate and bend your right leg while at the same time picking your left hand up off the ground. Rotate to the right so that your shoulders and hips open up to the ceiling and extend your right leg through while pulling the left arm back. Once you begin moving rhythmically, you should feel as if your hips are rotating like a pendulum. Repeat this drill for three sets of 60 seconds. You can even use hip escapes as a regular part of your dynamic warm-up.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

should i add cross training to my combat sports conditioning ?
Cross training is a very effective way to train for combat sports because there are so many stresses...
what type of warm-up should i do prior to a mixed martial arts fight ?
Mixed martial arts (MMA) can be characterized by a myriad of different movement patterns including, ...
will strengthening my legs help increase my leg power ?
Strengthening the legs will help to facilitate increases in power as both strength and power go ...
can balance training help my punching power ?
Yes, because without balance you cannot produce strength, and without strength you cannot produce po...