Should I be doing any stretching during a tournament style bout?

Perform a light dynamic warm-up using exercises such as lateral lunging, front lunging, rotational lunging, shooting, and pummeling. This should take you right up to fight time.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
What is multiplanar or “3D” movement?
The human body was designed to produce force, reduce force, and dynamically stabilize the whole ...
Will jumping rope help me with footwork during a fight?
Although jump-rope training has traditionally been used to enhance footwork skill and as cardiov...
How important is cardio conditioning for combat sports?
Combat sports are extremely physical and cardio conditioning is very important.  One of the benefits...