Should I be doing any stretching during a tournament style bout?

Perform a light dynamic warm-up using exercises such as lateral lunging, front lunging, rotational lunging, shooting, and pummeling. This should take you right up to fight time.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
Are speed and quickness the same thing for a fighter?
No, speed and quickness are not the same thing. Typically, speed is considered to be linear and is a...
Does watching fight video actually help?
Watching and studying fight video of yourself, your opponent, or even someone you aspire to emul...
What is the best way to improve my fighting footwork?
Improve your footwork for fights by performing speed, agility, and quickness (SAQ) drills using vari...