Will strengthening my legs help increase my leg power?

Strength in your legs must be obtained before working on your power.  Increased strength will allow you to work on power.  Once you obtain optimal strength, you can work on power exercises to increase your power.  Some power exercises for your legs are ice skaters, power step ups, speed squats, squat jumps, and tuck jumps. 
Strengthening the legs will help to facilitate increases in power as both strength and power go hand in hand. A fighter's program should include both strength and power. Initially, the goal of strength must first be obtained in order for you to improve on power. Fundamental exercises such as back squats (bar lies on shoulders), front squats (bar lies across the front of shoulders), leg extensions, and leg curls are suggested. These strength building exercises should be performed for 4-6 sets and 1-5 repetitions in order to properly increase strength in the lower body.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
How can I improve my hand-wrist control during a fight?
There are several common hand-wrist control drills that jujitsu practitioners use. Try performing a ...
What can I do to get mentally prepared for fights?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
A pre-performance routine can be used prior to an event as a way to control the environment, provide...
What drill will help my shot speed in MMA fighting?
In order to improve your MMA fighting shot speed, perform the sport loading drill. After completing ...