Are speed and quickness the same thing for a fighter?

No, speed and quickness are not the same thing. Typically, speed is considered to be linear and is associated with covering a set distance in a short period of time. Quickness is better described as reaction time or your ability to interpret a stimulus and react to it with a movement. Quickness is a desirable trait to possess for a fighter because it can give you the necessary edge over an opponent and make them feel like you are able to anticipate their attack as you react to it without delay.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
Are there any drills that will improve all of my karate skills?
The combative art of karate involves many hours of selfless training as well as discipline. Ther...
Will ladder drills help my cardio conditioning for a fight?
Yes, speed and agility drills such as ladder drills can be a great asset to your cardiorespirato...
How can I improve punching speed and power?
Pair a stable strength exercise with a quick, explosive power exercise in a superset to best make ga...