What are some stretches I can do for my shoulders?

Prior to training I suggest using soft tissue techniques such massage or foam rolling to target the muscles of the back, chest and neck. Static stretching of the latissimus dorsi as well as the back of the shoulder is essential for flexibility of the shoulder. Following this, perform dynamic warm-up exercises such as back slappers (standing in a staggered stance criss-crossing the arms in front of the body then back), arms circles (standing with feet shoulder width apart and moving both arms in large circles), and a prone scorpion, which targets the trunk as well as the shoulders (lying face down with palms flat on the ground and moving one leg at a time over towards the opposite hand). Perform these exercises back- to- back with no rest. Implementing these exercises on a regular basis will reduce the risk of injury while at the same time allowing you to attain optimum levels of performance.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
Should I stretch before or after combat training?
Foam rolling should be performed prior to practice and your performance program to soften up tig...
Should I be doing any stretching during a tournament style bout?
Perform a light dynamic warm-up using exercises such as lateral lunging, front lunging, rotation...
What is multiplanar or “3D” movement?
The human body was designed to produce force, reduce force, and dynamically stabilize the whole ...