How do I optimize training for combat sports?

The best program to enhance your combat readiness should include core and balance training, plyometrics, resistance training, as well as cardiorespiratory training. Focus on side-to-side movement, pivoting, punching, shooting, kicking, lunging, and pummeling, depending on your particular discipline. These movements require endurance, strength, and power from the entire body. An optimal program will include approximately four weeks of endurance training. In addition to performing these exercises on your own, you may want to seek assistance from a trained performance specialist to help you pull together all the necessary components of a complete combat-specific performance program.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
How can I improve my cardio for a fight?
There is no question that muay thai style fighting requires high levels of cardiorespiratory end...
What are the possible benefits of Judo?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
Judo is a form of martial arts that utilizes grappling and throws in combination with joint locks an...
How can I increase rotational power for strikes during a fight?
Great rotational power for strikes during a fight comes from the hips and the muscles of the cor...