What are the most important tests for combat sports?

Assessing an athlete’s natural and habitual movement patterns are the most important tests to be performed. The repetitive movements in combat sports such as punching, kicking, pummeling and ground work seem to cause mechanical chaos over the major muscle groups (chest, back, shoulders and legs). If ignored, this may cause excessive tightness, knots, and altered movement resulting in injury. Assessments such as gait pattern assessment (walking) and an overhead squat test (athlete squats with arms extended over the head) allow the professional to document any movement impairments.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
Should I be doing any stretching during a tournament style bout?
Perform a light dynamic warm-up using exercises such as lateral lunging, front lunging, rotation...
How can I work circuit training into my combat sports conditioning?
Circuit training is a great way to work both a cardiovascular and strength training session into...
How is martial arts a good workout for kids and adults?
Martial arts is a great mental and physical workout. In this video, Dr. Oz watches in awe as a r...