Will jumping rope help me with footwork during a fight?

Although jump-rope training has traditionally been used to enhance footwork skill and as cardiovascular conditioning, it can also be a great way to increase overall power and strength in your upper and lower-body and help you maintain high intensities during a fight. Try jumping with a weighted rope for sixty second intervals. Using a rope that is weighted 2-3 pounds, jump for 60 seconds keeping your heels off the ground. Rest for thirty seconds between intervals. In order to minimize harsh pounding, pay special attention to keeping the feet “quiet.” Performing  jumping with a weighted rope is a safe, convenient, and innovative way to vary your workouts as well as increase strength and power.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
How can I improve punching speed and power?
Pair a stable strength exercise with a quick, explosive power exercise in a superset to best make ga...
How can I work circuit training into my combat sports conditioning?
Circuit training is a great way to work both a cardiovascular and strength training session into...
How can I increase rotational power for strikes during a fight?
Great rotational power for strikes during a fight comes from the hips and the muscles of the cor...