How can I increase my reaction time during hand fighting?

Reaction time may be defined as the point in time when an athlete actually recognizes when to react to some action, and how swiftly it’s done. Try defensive and reactive exercises to increase the speed of your reaction time. After performing your foam rolling and warm-up grab an opponent. Begin pummeling, jockeying, and hand fighting for position. Focus on maintaining good posture. Perform this exercise for two to three minutes. Another great defensive exercise is face down hand wrestling. Both of you begin in a push-up position facing each other. Take turns grabbing and driving each other’s hand out from under each other. Exercises such as these will cause you to become unbalanced as well as react in a vulnerable and defensive state.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
Will strengthening my legs help increase my leg power?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
Strength in your legs must be obtained before working on your power.  Increased strength will allow ...
How do I get explosive speed midway during my shot?
Explosive speed and power must be attained at the initiation of your shot, not just midway. Prac...
Will running long distances help my cardio for fights?
Scott Ramsdell Scott Ramsdell
Running long distances for MMA can help develop a "base of cardio" and can assist in weight loss. Ho...