How can I improve my lower-body strength to defend against takedowns?

Strength exercises which target all of the major muscle groups (chest, back, shoulders and legs) should be used when you are trying to increase strength for fighting. Try incorporating exercises which mimic the sequencing as well as timing of the entire body during a bout. Once you have completed your foam rolling and warm-up, begin with core strength exercises such as medicine ball crunches and medicine ball lumbar extensions. Following this, perform a balance strength exercises such as a front lunge to balance. Standing in an athletic stance, lunge forward extending one leg in front, drive off the foot, and alternate sides. All exercises in this phase of training will be performed for four to six sets of five reps. Next, I suggest performing a trap-bar (octagon shaped bar) squat, again using a weight that will only allow you to squat for one to five reps. Finally, incorporate a medicine ball sprawl with external weight such as a weight vest. During this movement, you will begin holding a medicine ball (5-10% of bodyweight), squatting down and thrusting the legs out and behind you leaving you in a pushup position, and return to your starting position. These exercises may also be combined in a circuit fashion in order to increase the intensity adding an aerobic component as well.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
How can I improve elbow speed in combat?
Perform stable strength exercises followed immediately by explosive movements for the same muscl...
How can I improve my cardio for a fight?
There is no question that muay thai style fighting requires high levels of cardiorespiratory end...
Will foam rolling help my shot flexibility in combat sports?
Not only will foam rolling help your shot flexibility, it may allow you to generate increased leve...