How important is cardio conditioning for combat sports?

Combat sports are extremely physical and cardio conditioning is very important.  One of the benefits of this sport is the mental toughness that it develops.  The high-intensity conditioning will help with the mental toughness while giving you the strength to tap into during the later minutes of competitions.  When two athletes are close in skill, conditioning can be the edge you need to perform your best at the end.  Since combat sports demand so much anaerobic power, your conditioning is vital.  If you are unable to perform the skills at a high level because of fatigue this indicates a need for additional conditioning.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
How can I get quicker with my striking?
Gain speed by incorporating complex training into your routine.  Begin with core power exercises s...
How often should I perform metabolic training for MMA?
It is recommended that an athlete migrate in and out of the metabolic and power phases of training. ...
What can I do to help improve my speed for a take-down during fights?
Try practicing take-downs with some resistance tubing attached to your waist and/or shoulders to...