How important is cardio conditioning for combat sports?

Combat sports are extremely physical and cardio conditioning is very important.  One of the benefits of this sport is the mental toughness that it develops.  The high-intensity conditioning will help with the mental toughness while giving you the strength to tap into during the later minutes of competitions.  When two athletes are close in skill, conditioning can be the edge you need to perform your best at the end.  Since combat sports demand so much anaerobic power, your conditioning is vital.  If you are unable to perform the skills at a high level because of fatigue this indicates a need for additional conditioning.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
What do most combat sports programs seem to be missing?
There seems to be three important issues missing. First, proper phasing and organization. Secondly, ...
Will circuit training help my endurance for fights?
Scott Ramsdell Scott Ramsdell
Yes, circuit training will help to build endurance. If done correctly a properly designed circuit ca...
How can I increase rotational power for strikes during a fight?
Great rotational power for strikes during a fight comes from the hips and the muscles of the cor...