How should I choose boxing gloves?

Here are some key factors in choosing boxing gloves:
  • Size: Boxing gloves are available in small, medium, and large sizes. Medium will generally fit the average woman's hands, while large will fit the average man's hands.
  • Weight: Gloves range in weight from 10 to 20 ounces. Professional boxers want lighter gloves for faster punches, so they generally choose 10-ounce gloves. However, for basic training and beginners 12- to 16-ounce gloves are recommended. Keep in mind that heavier boxing gloves provide more protective padding.
  • Material: Gloves are either of leather or synthetic construction. In the long run, leather gloves cost a little extra, but they'll last twice as long and offer better protection and support.
  • Ties: Boxing gloves are tied on with either Velcro or laces. Classic boxing gloves that prizefighters wear are always laced up for a snug fit; however, gloves with Velcro closures allow you to easily put on and remove your gloves by yourself. For general training purposes, gloves with Velcro are suitable. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

What can I do to get mentally prepared for fights?
There are many exercises you can use in order to effectively and positively prepare for an upcoming ...
How often should I perform strength and conditioning exercises?
It is suggested that a fighter performing strength and conditioning exercises two to three days ...
Can balance training help my punching power?
Yes, because without balance you cannot produce strength, and without strength you cannot produce po...
Will ladder drills help my cardio conditioning for a fight?
Yes, speed and agility drills such as ladder drills can be a great asset to your cardiorespirato...