Should I focus on strength or power for combat sports?

Both go hand in hand for a fighter and a program should encompass both strength and power training in order to properly condition and train the entire body. Performing a strength phase of training anywhere from four to six weeks in length is suggested. Sets and repetitions during this phase should be four to six and one to five. After completing the strength phase, progress to four to six weeks of power training. Sets and repetitions should be three to five and eight to ten. Performing eight to twelve weeks of progressive exercises such as this will allow you to become both stronger and faster.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
Are core exercises important for the guard in combat sports?
Core exercises are extremely essential to any submission specialist trying to maximize the strength,...
What can I do to get mentally prepared for fights?
There are many exercises you can use in order to effectively and positively prepare for an upcoming ...
How can I improve my hand-wrist control during a fight?
There are several common hand-wrist control drills that jujitsu practitioners use. Try performing a ...