Are core exercises important for the guard in combat sports?

Core exercises are extremely essential to any submission specialist trying to maximize the strength, stability, and power of their core muscles from the guard position. The guard may be considered a very advantageous position due to the endless variety of submissions and joint locks available. It allows for control of the opponent with your core and hips.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
Should I stretch before or after combat training?
Foam rolling should be performed prior to practice and your performance program to soften up tig...
What are some stretches I can do for my shoulders?
Prior to training I suggest using soft tissue techniques such massage or foam rolling to target the ...
Should a fighter combine cardio training with agility drills?
Absolutely. Combining high-intensity cardiorespiratory exercise with speed, agility, and quickness (...