What core exercises should I do for combat sports?

Begin with a basic crunch with a medicine ball, followed immediately by a TRX roll-out (suspension system) for the unstable movement. This is a great way to really load the abdominals as well as allowing the hips to counteract rotational forces. Another great combination of core power exercises is combining a reverse crunch on a ball (athlete lies face up on a ball and holds on to a stable object, thrusting the legs into the air with rotation); perform 3-5 repetitions, followed immediately with an explosive medicine ball pullover throw against a wall (athlete lies on a ball holding a medicine ball, crunches up, throws the ball at a wall and rebounds the ball off the wall); perform 10 repetitions. All exercises are performed with a fast tempo and good technique. This series of exercises will enhance the ability of your core muscles to generate forces that are crucial in combat sports.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
How often should I perform metabolic training for MMA?
It is recommended that an athlete migrate in and out of the metabolic and power phases of training. ...
How can I increase rotational power for strikes during a fight?
Great rotational power for strikes during a fight comes from the hips and the muscles of the cor...
What can I do to increase hip mobility for fights?
The hip escape drill can be a great way to enhance hip mobility, incorporate fighting strategy i...