Will circuit training help my endurance for fights?

Yes, circuit training will help to build endurance. If done correctly a properly designed circuit can increase muscular endurance and improve cardiovascular efficiency. This will allow getting more work done in a shorter period of time. In MMA a properly designed circuit workout can "mimic" the movements, body positions, strength requirements, and metabolic demands needed to compete in an MMA event.

Circuit training is a great tool to implement into your performance program for several reasons. It allows you to stack many exercises together, performing exercises with little to no rest provides a great metabolic component, and interval training can have great carry-over if specific fight-movement characteristics are implemented. Keep in mind that there are several types of circuit training and depending on your specific goal, you may want to experiment with a couple different styles. Using a vertical loading progression (alternating exercises set-to set) that implements the dominant movements seen in your particular discipline is an excellent type of circuit training to perform. For example, if you are a mixed martial artist, you can begin with tube striking (push) for thirty seconds, followed by a medicine ball sprawl (level change) for thirty seconds, and finishing with an oversized grip pull-up (pull) for thirty seconds. Follow this circuit with a brief rest interval. The peripheral heart action system (PHA) circuit is fairly similar to the vertical loading progression except you alternate between upper-body and lower-body exercises. For example, begin with tube striking, followed by a sand bag squat, and finishing with the oversized grip pull-up. It is a good idea to have your coach undulate the amount of time you are in a specific station, leaving this time interval unknown to you in advance. This will create ultimate translation of your workout into your upcoming bout.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
Should I be doing any stretching during a tournament style bout?
Perform a light dynamic warm-up using exercises such as lateral lunging, front lunging, rotation...
Will strengthening my legs help increase my leg power?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
Strength in your legs must be obtained before working on your power.  Increased strength will allow ...
Will running long distances help my cardio for fights?
Scott Ramsdell Scott Ramsdell
Running long distances for MMA can help develop a "base of cardio" and can assist in weight loss. Ho...