Will circuit training help my endurance for fights?

Circuit training is a great tool to implement into your performance program for several reasons. It allows you to stack many exercises together, performing exercises with little to no rest provides a great metabolic component, and interval training can have great carry-over if specific fight-movement characteristics are implemented. Keep in mind that there are several types of circuit training and depending on your specific goal, you may want to experiment with a couple different styles. Using a vertical loading progression (alternating exercises set-to set) that implements the dominant movements seen in your particular discipline is an excellent type of circuit training to perform. For example, if you are a mixed martial artist, you can begin with tube striking (push) for thirty seconds, followed by a medicine ball sprawl (level change) for thirty seconds, and finishing with an oversized grip pull-up (pull) for thirty seconds. Follow this circuit with a brief rest interval. The peripheral heart action system (PHA) circuit is fairly similar to the vertical loading progression except you alternate between upper-body and lower-body exercises. For example, begin with tube striking, followed by a sand bag squat, and finishing with the oversized grip pull-up. It is a good idea to have your coach undulate the amount of time you are in a specific station, leaving this time interval unknown to you in advance. This will create ultimate translation of your workout into your upcoming bout.

Yes, circuit training will help to build endurance. If done correctly a properly designed circuit can increase muscular endurance and improve cardiovascular efficiency. This will allow getting more work done in a shorter period of time. In MMA a properly designed circuit workout can "mimic" the movements, body positions, strength requirements, and metabolic demands needed to compete in an MMA event.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
Should I stretch before or after combat training?
Foam rolling should be performed prior to practice and your performance program to soften up tig...
What type of performance program should I use for combat sports?
The optimal performance program for combat sports should include core and balance training, plyo...
How do I optimize training for combat sports?
The best program to enhance your combat readiness should include core and balance training, plyometr...