What is the best form of cardio training for combat sports?

The cardiovascular training for combat sports should include a variety of exercises and should incorporate a total-body workout when possible.  You should have some training days that are at a lower intensity and that focus on aerobic training, which will promote an aerobic base and recovery.  Equipment for this type of training, such as a bike, treadmill or elliptical, work well for anyone.  The higher-intensity training should be a series of short bursts followed by short rest periods (active rest, which is not relaxing but allows you to catch your breath or let your legs recover). These bursts should be three to ten seconds long with a fifteen to twenty second active recovery.  The high-intensity interval should last the length of a period in your event, normally around three minutes.  After the high-intensity periods, recover completely (two to five minutes) before repeating.  Circuit training is another effective way to help build the anaerobic system while training the total body.

Continue Learning about Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
Cut Combat Sports for Youth, Says AMA
At the beginning of the 1982 film Rocky III, Sylvester Stallone (Rocky) steps into the ring with Hulk Hogan (Thunderlips). The boxing and wrestling ch...
How can I get quicker with my striking?
Gain speed by incorporating complex training into your routine.  Begin with core power exercises s...
How can I improve my hand-wrist control during a fight?
There are several common hand-wrist control drills that jujitsu practitioners use. Try performing a ...
How often should I perform strength and conditioning exercises?
It is suggested that a fighter performing strength and conditioning exercises two to three days ...