Will my doctor keep all information on my health and cancer confidential?

All health care providers are required to protect the confidentiality of patients they care for, according to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
  • Your health care provider is required to give you a written explanation of how they are complying with HIPAA.
  • The provider will need to obtain your signature after you have read the explanation. This gives you a chance to talk with them about any questions you have about who they will communicate with before you give your signature.
  • If you want a loved one to be able to discuss your cancer and treatment with your health care provider, be certain that you specify that person's name on the HIPAA form.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

5 Facts About Electronic Health Records
5 Facts About Electronic Health Records
In the past, your health history was tracked on paper only, but that's no longer the case. Doctors and hospitals across the country are making things ...
Why do I have to wait for days to receive my lab test results?
Lab test results can be available that same day, several days later or take a couple of weeks, depen...
How can I transfer my health records if I'm moving?
American Health Information Management Assoc.American Health Information Management Assoc.
If you know the name of the new healthcare provider you may ask your current doctor to send a copy o...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?