Why do I have to wait for days to receive my lab test results?

Lab test results can be available that same day, several days later or take a couple of weeks, depending upon what types of labs are requested by your provider. Some tests require special techniques to obtain the results. It is important to ask your provider how long your lab test may take so you can follow up to review them in a timely manner.
When you have lab tests and imaging, they’re usually done and are in your electronic record in hours, but consumers have to wait days or weeks to receive them. The way most are set up is that the results have to go through the doctor and the doctor has to release them. Some have automatic releases: if the doctor hasn’t released them after seven days, the system releases them. 

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Getting Your Medical Record Is a Cinch
Getting Your Medical Record Is a Cinch
Change happens all the time -- in the medical profession and in your own life. Perhaps a great job opportunity requires a cross-country move. Or maybe...
How can electronic health records (EHRs) enhance routine medical care?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
Electronic health records (EHRs) can enhance routine medical care by reminding your doctor about the...
Where can I find information on my family medical history?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
To find your family medical history information, you may want to consult family documents, such as e...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?