Why should I keep a personal health record?

Betty Long, RN, MHA
Nursing Specialist

When all is said and done, no one knows what healthcare reform will bring. Much energy is being directed into computerized, on-line systems, and 'cloud' computing.

But one thing is for sure communication errors in the healthcare system will continue. We encourage all the patients we work with to get copies of any diagnostic testing or blood work that they’ve had done. The more doctors you see, the more medical files you have. And the more scattered your medical records, the higher your risk will be of drug errors, missed diagnoses, allergies and other potentially dangerous glitches. With so many digital templates available, keeping your own set of records just makes good sense. Remember, YOU are in charge of your health and that includes your personal health record!

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?