What diseases should I look for in my family health history?

It is important to have a thorough understanding of your family's health background. All diseases are important. However, some are known to be passed from generation to generation. Conditions that are congenital (occur at birth), genetic mutations, cancer and heart disease have a tendency to run in families. If you have questions about part of your family medical history, ask your family members or family doctor.

Dr. Miriam S. Buckberg, MD

In your family health history, look for diseases that are linked to family history, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and specific types of cancer. If you’re worried about your possible increased risk of developing any of these conditions, look for some of these contributing factors as you research your family tree:

• diseases that occur in more than one close relative
  • diseases that occur 10 to 20 years before most people are diagnosed with the disease
  • specific disease combinations, such as having both heart disease and diabetes, or both breast and ovarian cancers

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Getting Your Medical Record Is a Cinch
Getting Your Medical Record Is a Cinch
Change happens all the time -- in the medical profession and in your own life. Perhaps a great job opportunity requires a cross-country move. Or maybe...
How can I transfer my health records if I'm moving?
American Health Information Management Assoc.American Health Information Management Assoc.
If you know the name of the new healthcare provider you may ask your current doctor to send a copy o...
Can a hospital share information with my family without my authorization?
A hospital or any health provider cannot share your information with your family without your consen...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?