What diseases should I look for in my family health history?

It is important to have a thorough understanding of your family's health background. All diseases are important. However, some are known to be passed from generation to generation. Conditions that are congenital (occur at birth), genetic mutations, cancer and heart disease have a tendency to run in families. If you have questions about part of your family medical history, ask your family members or family doctor.
Miriam Buckberg, MD
Family Medicine
In your family health history, look for diseases that are linked to family history, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and specific types of cancer. If you’re worried about your possible increased risk of developing any of these conditions, look for some of these contributing factors as you research your family tree:
  • diseases that occur in more than one close relative
  • diseases that occur 10 to 20 years before most people are diagnosed with the disease
  • specific disease combinations, such as having both heart disease and diabetes, or both breast and ovarian cancers
Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Top 7 Common Privacy Myths About Your Health Information
You’ve probably heard of HIPAA, the law that protects your medical privacy. In short, HIPAA limits how healthcare providers, insurers and employers ca...
Where should I keep my important legal documents?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Give copies of important legal documents directly to the person who is responsible for carrying ...
How can electronic health records (EHRs) reduce unnecessary tests?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
Have you ever had to repeat medical tests ordered by one doctor because the results weren’t readily ...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?