What are the steps for disaster or emergency preparedness?

There are three basic steps for disaster or emergency preparedness:
Know what natural or other disasters could occur in your area and how to prepare for them. Know what your local evacuation routes are so that you are ready to leave the area quickly. The Federal Emergency Management Agency has a lot of information on disaster preparedness. Make an emergency plan and give family members a copy of it. Talk to your family members about disasters or emergencies that could happen in your area. Explain how to respond to each of them. In a disaster, it might be dangerous or difficult to go home. So, just in case, pick another place for loved ones to meet. Make sure you designate an "emergency check-in" contact. Teach your children the phone number for this contact. This is important in case you get separated during a disaster!Pack emergency supplies in your home to meet your needs for three days. Always keep copies of all of your important papers together in one place. That way you can "grab and go" during an evacuation. Keep all necessary supplies in a specific place. Make sure you plan for any family members with disabilities or special needs. If you have a pet, make sure you include them in your plans. If you evacuate, do not leave your pet behind. Pets are unlikely to survive on their own. So plan to take them along. Some shelters don't allow pets. Keep a list of pet-friendly hotels or boarding facilities.
This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Top 7 Common Privacy Myths About Your Health Information
You’ve probably heard of HIPAA, the law that protects your medical privacy. In short, HIPAA limits how healthcare providers, insurers and employers ca...
Should I include my spouse on my family health history?
Carrie BilickiCarrie Bilicki
While a spouse does not share hereditary risk factors, you do share similar environmental risk facto...
How do I create a medical family history?
Carrie BilickiCarrie Bilicki
In 2004, the Surgeon General declared Thanksgiving to be National Family History Day. The U.S. Depar...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?