Under what circumstances would I not be able to see my medical records?

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule gives you the right to inspect, review and receive a copy of your health and billing records that are held by health plans and healthcare providers covered under HIPAA. In a few special cases, you may not be able to get all of your information. For example, your doctor may decide that something in your file could physically endanger you or someone else and may not have to give this information to you.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Top 7 Common Privacy Myths About Your Health Information
You’ve probably heard of HIPAA, the law that protects your medical privacy. In short, HIPAA limits how healthcare providers, insurers and employers ca...
What are the ways that my healthcare information may be used and shared?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
To make sure that your health information privacy is protected without interfering with your health ...
Do all personal health records need to be documented on a computer?
American Health Information Management Assoc.American Health Information Management Assoc.
Personal health records (PHRs) are not the same as electronic health records (EHRs). Therefore, you ...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?