Should my health provider tell me how they may use my health information?

You can learn how your health information is used and shared by your provider or health insurer. They must give you a notice that tells you how they legally may use and share your health information and how you can exercise your rights. In most cases, you should get this notice on your first visit to a provider or in the mail from your health plan, and you can ask for a copy at any time. This is the document that providers often ask for you to sign to indicate that you have received it.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

How to Protect Yourself from Medical Records Glitches
As more providers start using electronic health records (EHRs), the dream is that it'll be easier for everyone to work together and share information—...
How will electronic health records work?
SharecareSharecare
When you go to a doctor's office or medical facility, your health care provider creates a collection...
What is a personal health record?
American Health Information Management Assoc.American Health Information Management Assoc.
The personal health record (PHR) is an electronic, universally available, lifelong resource of healt...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?