What kinds of records are in my medical file?

What's in your medical file? It's stuffed full of reports, microfilms, and other media with a similar topic: you. Each time you visit a physician or enter the hospital, more info goes into that file. Although it's likely a thick file, it's probably far from complete—or assembled in one place.

Your medical file can be tapped by your insurance company or other organizations in case of a lawsuit or other legal issue—which is why your privacy rights are important. You might think of it as a credit report for your body.Among other things, it will contain…
  • Consent forms. You sign these before undergoing any surgery or medical procedure. Read them carefully before signing; make sure that your name is spelled correctly, the described procedure and site of your surgery are correct, and the like.
  • Consultations (a fancy name for second opinions). Any reports made by doctors other than your primary care physician (such as a specialist) get thrown in this category.
  • Discharge summaries from any hospital stays.
  • Medical history and physical information, such as any illnesses and surgeries you've had, any current medical conditions and medications you're taking, your family history, and the like. This part of your file will also include your doctor's notes from appointments, which might make for entertaining reading.
  • Immunization history and record, which shows which shots you received and when.
  • Pathology reports. If you had tissue removed and analyzed during surgery, the analysis of the tissue (was it cancer or not?) will be here.
  • Physician's orders. These are the specific directions your doctors gave you after specific appointments and procedures.
  • X-rays and imaging reports. While x-rays, mammograms, and ultrasound films themselves are usually kept in the radiology department or on a computer, your medical record will usually include the written findings from those tests. More recently, however, digital images are being stored on computer disks and in your doctor's or hospital's computer system, so accessing them (with your permission) is easy for second opinion docs and others.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Smart Ways to Use Your Medical Records
Smart Ways to Use Your Medical Records
The same law that protects the privacy of your medical records, known as HIPAA, also gives you access to your medical records. That means you can requ...
How long will I have to wait for a copy of my medical records?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
In most cases, once you have requested information from your medical records, copies must be given t...
What can a doctor use electronic health records for?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
Many hospitals and clinics are moving away from a paper charting system to an electronic charting sy...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?