What medical contracts should I fill out now and why?

Do you have a living will? Have you or your relatives signed a health care power-of-attorney form? What about a Do-not-resuscitate order (or DNR in health lingo)–did your relative sign one, or did she just tell you that she didn't want any heroic measures taken to revive her?

Opting out of important contracts like these has authored some of the most exciting (and controversial) moments in health care in the last 20 years. Relatively few people take advantage of these patient rights, so there's still plenty of day-to-day action to be seen. The court cases, the relatives throwing chairs, the television cameras…who needs Jerry Springer? As long as you and other Americans overlook these measures by thinking they're just too grim, too unlikely to matter, or just too complicated to figure out, there will be no end of these thrilling scenes to enliven our workplaces.

Now, if you don't want to become a participant in these dramas, you may want to look into your patient rights and complete some of these contracts.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

How to Keep Your Personal Health Record
How to Keep Your Personal Health Record
If you’ve decided that you’re ready to take the plunge and create your own personal health record (PHR), congratulations! A PHR is a powerful tool tha...
Will my doctor keep all information on my health and cancer confidential?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
All health care providers are required to protect the confidentiality of patients they care for,...
What diseases should I look for in my family health history?
It is important to have a thorough understanding of your family's health background. All diseases ar...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?