Is there a minimum level of privacy that healthcare providers must meet?

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule sets a federal "floor" of privacy protections -- a minimum level of privacy that healthcare providers and health plans must meet. Many states have health information privacy laws that have additional protections that are above this floor. In addition, even though HIPAA is a federal law, each state's Attorney General has been given the authority to enforce HIPAA.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Personal Health Record - Do You Need One?
Something like this has happened to all of us: You go to a doctor you haven’t seen before, and as the doctor is writing you a prescription for an anti...
How can health IT gain access to my records in an emergency?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
Health information technology (health IT) can help secure access to information in emergencies. In t...
What is a good way to keep track of my personal health records?
Keeping track of medical records can be difficult if your health information is in multiple places o...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?