Why is it important to know my family health history?

Knowing your family history from a health perspective means you and your relatives are now health aware. This may motivate you to schedule screenings at appropriate times and to engage in lifestyle changes that target and reduce specific disease risks. For example, if you find out that an aunt and some cousins have diabetes, you may decide to lose any excess weight, begin an exercise program and get yearly screenings for diabetes. The same holds true for heart disease, certain cancers, arthritis and other chronic conditions.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

top 7 common privacy myths about your health information
you ’ve probably heard of hipaa , the law that protects your medical privacy . in short , hipaa limits how healthcare providers , insurers and employe...
5 facts about electronic health records
5 facts about electronic health records
in the past , your health history was tracked on paper only , but that no longer the case . doctors and hospitals across the country are making things...
why should i keep a personal health record ?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
When all is said and done, no one knows what healthcare reform will bring. Much energy is being dire...
how should i keep track of my medical tests ?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
When medical tests are ordered, ask when and how the results will be delivered -- by phone, mail or ...