How do I keep a record of my child’s medical care?

If you haven’t started keeping meticulous records of health history and medical care for yourself and your child, please consider yourself nudged in that direction. Good family medical records are so vital that they’re a recurring theme in this book. If you haven’t started keeping them, it’s never too late. The first step I’d recommend is going to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) website and using the Care Notebook you’ll find there. The notebook is an organizing tool that will help you become an expert on your child’s and family’s health care. You can pick and choose from dozens of handy forms that will help you track immunizations, allergy records, doctor appointments, hospital stays, growth patterns, family and medical history, nutrition, insurance providers, and therapists. There’s an online tour to walk you through the steps of putting the Care Notebook together. And you’ll find the AAP site is super-useful in general.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

How to Protect Yourself from Medical Records Glitches
As more providers start using electronic health records (EHRs), the dream is that it'll be easier for everyone to work together and share information—...
Do I have the right to complain if my health information is misused?
You have recourse if you believe that your health information has been misused. If you feel that you...
Where can I locate my health record if my doctor dies?
American Health Information Management Assoc.American Health Information Management Assoc.
If your doctor dies, his or her estate has an obligation to retain your records, including immunizat...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?