How quickly can I get my health records once I request them?

Provider compliance with updates to the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Omnibus Final Rule, which went into effect in September 2013, was a major step forward in patient engagement. The rule’s updates make it easier and cheaper for people to obtain copies of their health records, request changes and give consent as to how their health information is used by a provider.

While the older Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) rules gave providers anywhere from 30 to 60 days to respond to a person’s release of information request, HITECH’s updates to HIPAA attempt to streamline the process.

HITECH says that people should be given their health records within 72 hours. That’s a lot tighter and consistent with consumer expectations in a digital age. These changes are necessary to steer healthcare away from the days of doctor-knows-best and toward a more patient-centered healthcare system where patients play a role in their health -- and use their health information to improve their care.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Personal Health Record - Do You Need One?
Something like this has happened to all of us: You go to a doctor you haven’t seen before, and as the doctor is writing you a prescription for an anti...
Why is it important to know my family health history?
The Mount Sinai Health SystemThe Mount Sinai Health System
It is important to know your family history because it can influence the way you live your life; lea...
How safe are electronic health records (EHRs)?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
Any health record -- paper-based or electronic -- is only as good as the information it contains and...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?