How can health IT gain access to my records in an emergency?

Health information technology (health IT) can help secure access to information in emergencies. In the event of a natural disaster or other tragedy, having your records in an electronic health record (EHR) should make it easier to reassemble your records, and to make them available to providers away from home should you need to relocate temporarily or permanently. The US federal government requires certified systems to meet security standards so that professionals and others you designate can see only the information they need in order to manage your care effectively; your state government may require additional protections.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Learn How to Get a Copy of Your Medical Records
There are a number of reasons you may want to access your medical records. Maybe you need proof of a medical condition. Perhaps you need your records ...
Can I access my personal health record (PHR) through my cell phone?
American Health Information Management Assoc.American Health Information Management Assoc.
You may be able to access your personal health record (PHR) via your cell phone. If your PHR is stor...
What information will my doctor need if my child is sick?
If you child is sick, your doctor will need the following information: an accurate and detailed ...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?