How can EHRs help my doctors coordinate my medical care?

Electronic health records (EHRs) help your doctors coordinate your care and protect your safety. Suppose you see three specialists in addition to your primary care physician. Each of them may prescribe different drugs, and sometimes, these drugs may interact in harmful ways. EHRs can warn your care providers if they try to prescribe a drug that could cause that kind of interaction. An EHR may also alert one of your doctors if another doctor has already prescribed a drug that did not work out for you, saving you from the risks and costs of taking ineffective medication.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

How to Protect Yourself from Medical Records Glitches
As more providers start using electronic health records (EHRs), the dream is that it'll be easier for everyone to work together and share information—...
Do I have the right to complain if my health information is misused?
You have recourse if you believe that your health information has been misused. If you feel that you...
Can a hospital share information with my family without my authorization?
A hospital or any health provider cannot share your information with your family without your consen...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?