Are electronic health records (EHRs) private?

There are privacy concerns, but frankly, that’s true of paper records, too. According to a study done by The Los Angeles Times, roughly 150 people (doctors, nurses, technicians, billing clerks) have some access to a patient’s medical record during a hospitalization. And that doesn’t include insurers and other billing companies. That’s why there are strict privacy rules designed to make sure health care information is secure -- surely you remember those gazillions of HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) forms we had to sign back in the late nineties!

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent, too!-to avoid critical, common blunders where it matters most: in the ER, pediatrics ward, all-night pharmacy, exam room, or any other medical hot spot for kids. These tips could save your child's life one day. Even tomorrow." -Dr. Jen Making health care decisions for your child can be overwhelming in this age of instant information. It's easy to feel like you know next to nothing or way too much. Either way, you may resort to guessing instead of making smart choices. That's why the nation's leading health care oversight group, The Joint Commission, joined forces with Dr. Jennifer Trachtenberg on this book: to help you make the right decisions, whether you're dealing with a checkup or a full-blown crisis. The Smart Parent's Guide will give you the information you need to manage the pediatric health care system. Dr. Jen understands the questions parents face—as a mom, she's faced them herself. She walks you through everything: from how to choose the best ER for kids (not adults) to when to give a kid medicine (or not to) to how pediatricians care for their own children (prepare to be surprised). Her goal is your goal: to protect the health of your children. There simply is nothing more important.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

getting your medical record is a cinch
getting your medical record is a cinch
change happens all the time -- in the medical profession and in your own life . perhaps a great job opportunity requires a cross-country move . or may...
what information should be included in a family medical history ?
A family medical history should include medical problems that have a high likelihood of being passed...
how do i keep a record of my child medical care ?
If you haven’t started keeping meticulous records of health history and medical care for yourself an...
how can i approach my relatives when developing a family medical history ?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Your family may want to work together on developing your family medical history. Holidays and reunio...