Am I required to pay for copies of my health record?

The cost of copies of your health record depends on the policy at your healthcare facility. Your healthcare provider is allowed to charge a reasonable fee for copies of your health record. The fee should only include the cost of copying (including supplies and labor), as well as postage if you request the copy to be mailed. If you request an explanation of this information, you may also be charged a fee for its preparation. Some facilities may provide you with a summary of your information free of charge. 

See more at: http://myphr.com/resources/faqs.aspx#sthash.nmu8fwYz.dpuf

Continue Learning about Managing Your Medical Records

Smart Ways to Use Your Medical Records
Smart Ways to Use Your Medical Records
The same law that protects the privacy of your medical records, known as HIPAA, also gives you access to your medical records. That means you can requ...
How can I make sure emergency personnel find my medication information?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
In some communities, health history and medication information is kept on the refrigerator and a...
How can health information technology (health IT) improve follow-ups?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
Health information technology (health IT) can help provide better follow-ups and follow-throughs. Ma...
What Are Some Body Numbers I Should Know About Myself?