Why is it important to keep a list of my medications with me?

Keeping a list of all your medications with you is important so you can communicate to health care providers what you are taking. Your list of medications should include prescribed medications, over-the-counter medications, and supplements you take on a regular basis. It is best to list the drug name, dose and how you are taking it, such as “Tylenol 500mg 1 tablet at bedtime.”

There are times when you might need to visit a specialist who may not have your most up-to-date information. In emergency situations, it helps to know what you are taking, since this can change which medications providers will give you, either to avoid a drug interaction or to guide a decision on how to reverse the effects of a medication such as a blood thinner. Using only one pharmacy is a good idea, as the pharmacist can check if a medication is safe for you to use, but this is often not realistic. Many people must use multiple pharmacies due to insurance coverage and mail delivery. Many pharmacies do not communicate with each other, so giving the pharmacists your medication list will ensure that they can check for drug interactions.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

How to Find Dr. Right
How to Find Dr. Right
One of the most important decisions you will ever make—and you'll probably make it more than once—is choosing the right doctor. YOU: The Smart Patien...
What questions should I ask when I'm hospitalized?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
When you're hospitalized, you should ask how you can help, what information you can give, and what y...
Know Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Know Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: ColonoscopyKnow Before You Go: Colonoscopy
Get tips for what you should do to prepare for a colonoscopy, and learn what to expect during and after your procedure from Dr. Oz.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?