Why may it be good to discuss my wishes for my funeral with my loved ones?

You should discuss funeral arrangements with your family because one of the keys to effective funeral planning is open communication. Letting your family know whether you want burial or cremation, and telling them the type of service you want to have, can help get everyone on the same page. This will make funeral arrangements go more smoothly when the time comes.
Although your loved ones may know you well, it could be impossible for them to predict what type of funeral or memorial service you would like to have. Sharing your thoughts with them also gives you an opportunity to find out how they feel about your ideas.

Discussing your preplanning wishes with loved ones can also provide an opportunity to talk about other important matters. For example, if you do not want there to be a lot of expense involved in a funeral or memorial service, this type of discussion provides an opportunity to reinforce the fact that you do not believe that a service has to be expensive to show love and respect.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Patient Stories: Know Yourself
Patient Stories: Know Yourself
Nathan R. was 55 when he began to notice that his hearing wasn't quite right and that his equilibrium was off. He noticed dizziness and vertigo when h...
How do I protect my child from infections while at the hospital?
All hospital staffers must WASH THEIR HANDS before treating your child and before touching any objec...
Know Before You Go: Routine Physical
Know Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine PhysicalKnow Before You Go: Routine Physical
Make the most of your routine physical by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?