Who should not visit my child in the hospital?

You probably have friends and family who want to visit your child while she is in the hospital. Check with your child’s nurse to learn about the visitor policy for your child’s unit. It is best for your child if only a few people visit. The following people should not visit:
  • A child who was sent home early from daycare or school because there is an outbreak of chickenpox.
  • A child who was sent home early from daycare or school because he did not feel well.
  • A person who was exposed in the last 26 days to whooping cough, chickenpox, tuberculosis (TB), measles, or mumps.
  • A person who has a runny nose, cough, fever, rash, or sniffles.
Just as a visitor may bring illness to your child, a well person may become sick while visiting your child if she has an infectious illness. Please avoid bringing well infants and small children to the hospital to visit your child if she has an infectious illness. This is especially important during the winter months when respiratory viruses are common.

By following this advice, you can help prevent an illness that could delay your child's discharge.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

How to Find Dr. Right
How to Find Dr. Right
One of the most important decisions you will ever make—and you'll probably make it more than once—is choosing the right doctor. YOU: The Smart Patien...
How can I keep track of all the people who treat me at the hospital?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
When you meet the emergency medicine (EM) doctor, hospitalist, social worker, charge nurse or a ...
Know Before You Go: Mental Health Visit
Know Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health VisitKnow Before You Go: Mental Health Visit
Get tips for what credentials and licensing you should look for in mental health professionals – plus, learns questions you should ask before your vis...
Why Do People Avoid Going to the Doctor?