When should I get help for feeling sad or worried about my chronic illness?

You should get help for feeling sad or worried about your chronic illness if you think you are experiencing anxiety or depression. Having a chronic illness can make you feel sad, angry, worried and scared, and these feelings are totally normal.

But what’s not normal is if you have so many worries that you feel overwhelmed and are unable to cope with everyday life. This is called anxiety. Also, if you feel so sad that you can’t do the things you want to do, or have trouble getting out of bed in the morning, you might have depression. You can get help for anxiety and depression. If you think it’s anxiety or depression, tell someone you trust, like your healthcare team.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Meet Dr. Darria
Meet Dr. Darria
Name: Darria Long Gillespie, MD, MBA Specialty: Emergency Medicine Hospital: Emory University Favorite app: AskMD (of course!) When did you know y...
What should I look for in a long-term care facility?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Making that decision that an aging adult needs long-term care can be hard. Here are five things to l...
7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need
7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need7 Health Tests You Probably Don’t Need
Be a Proactive Patient
Be a Proactive Patient