When should I go to the emergency room for my chronic condition?

If you have a chronic condition, you should go to the emergency room for anything that is considered a life-threatening situation (like chest pain or sudden and severe pain). For less severe matters that still require immediate attention, if you can’t get in to see your primary care doctor, going to an urgent care facility can save you time and money.

When you’re being treated for a chronic disease or condition, it may not always be easy to decide where to go for care. Even if you require emergency or urgent care for your health situation, it’s always best to have a relationship with a primary care doctor who knows your history and understands what is happening with your health over time.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

6 Emergency Room Secrets
6 Emergency Room Secrets
No one looks forward to a trip to the ER. And as an ER doctor, there’s nothing better than making a patient’s diagnosis and seeing her feel better aft...
What is a patient advocate?
Ileen CravenIleen Craven
A patient advocate is a person who will help someone navigate through the often complex world of hea...
Know Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Know Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Make the most of your visit with the dermatologist by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?