What is the role of my primary doctor if I have a terminal illness?

Philip Lisagor, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Every team needs a quarterback. Your primary doctor has a unique role as the provider of unbiased information based on facts, but he or she is also a person who may orchestrate the creation of a team of other professionals to provide care and guidance for a terminally ill person, their family and loved ones. So, be sure you have the:
  • Name of your primary doctor and contact information (phone numbers, email and answering services)
  • Name of your primary specialist and contact information

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

Give Your Doctor The News -- Accurately
Give Your Doctor The News -- Accurately
When Robert Palmer sings “Doctor, Doctor, give me the news,” you know he’s gonna get diagnosed with a bad case of the romantic blues. But most of the ...
What should I do when my child is released from the hospital?
If your child is being released, there’s just one little thing you’re waiting on: your discharge pap...
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health7 Little White Lies That Can Harm Your Health
Lying to your doctor about unhealthy habits or embarrassing symptoms is common, but can have serious consequences. Here’s why you should tell the trut...
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?