What is the role of my primary doctor if I have a terminal illness?

Philip Lisagor, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Every team needs a quarterback. Your primary doctor has a unique role as the provider of unbiased information based on facts, but he or she is also a person who may orchestrate the creation of a team of other professionals to provide care and guidance for a terminally ill person, their family and loved ones. So, be sure you have the:
  • Name of your primary doctor and contact information (phone numbers, email and answering services)
  • Name of your primary specialist and contact information

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

When to Get a Second Opinion
When to Get a Second Opinion
Actress Rita Wilson, wife of actor Tom Hanks, recently revealed a very personal decision. After being diagnosed with breast cancer, she had a double m...
Why does the hospital need my medications list?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
The nurse is going to look at your list of medications and ask you when you last took each one. ...
Know Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Know Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Make the most of your visit with the dermatologist by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Why Is It Important to Take Notes During My Doctor's Visit?