What preventive care services should I receive?

Kelly Traver

The following preventive care services are recommended for adults:

• Blood work for cholesterol and fasting glucose should be done every three to five years (more frequently if you are in a higher risk category or if abnormalities have previously been discovered).
  • Blood pressure should be checked at every medical visit.
  • Bone density tests should be done in women as a baseline at menopause and then every three years if normal. If you fall in a higher risk category for osteoporosis or the prior bone density tests show osteopenia (thinning of the bone) or osteoporosis, every one to two years is recommended.
  • Dental exams should be done one to two times per year to maintain healthy gums and teeth.
  • Vision should be checked every three to five years under age 40 and every two to four years between ages 40 and 65. After age 65, yearly eye exams are recommended. If you have diabetes, you should get yearly eye exams regardless of your age. Glaucoma checks should be done yearly starting at age 65. If there is a family history of glaucoma or you are in a higher risk category such as African American, you should start getting yearly glaucoma checks at age 50.
  • Check with your doctor at each yearly exam, to make sure you are up to date on adult vaccinations.

Continue Learning about Managing Your Health Care

5 Ways to Pay Less for Medications
5 Ways to Pay Less for Medications
If you’re like most people these days, cutting costs on everything is at top of mind. But, health experts warn, there’s something you should never do ...
Why may it be good to discuss my wishes for my funeral with my loved ones?
EverplansEverplans
You should discuss funeral arrangements with your family because one of the keys to effective funera...
Know Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Know Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The DermatologistKnow Before You Go: The Dermatologist
Make the most of your visit with the dermatologist by following these simple steps before your appointment.
Why Do People Avoid Going to the Doctor?